Monday, May 14, 2012

Stomping Dragons

            The other day, my daughter took her first stand-alone steps... her grandmother (my MIL) had come over to pick her up for a day. She got so excited she decided not to sit down before going for it. I was surprised and happy that she was moving forward, but when I stopped and truly thought about it, it made me sad. They tell you to hold on to the early moments, because they're the most precious and you'll miss them dearly. I never realized how true that was until I was already looking back on them.
             It's hard to believe that it's already been a whole year. Extremely cliche as it might be, it seems like just yesterday we were in the hospital, and I was awaiting my turn to become a father. A year later worth of watching my baby girl grow, and growing with her. She may squirm a lot now, and I certainly miss all the cuddling of infancy, but there's a lot of positive in it all. The interaction, the way she looks at me with that "look daddy, I learned what you were teaching me, am I doing it right?" look. It is definitely worth all the poop-filled diapers, late nights, and early morning coffee I have endured in this glorious first year.
             Her first birthday is on the 15th of next month. It will by My Little Pony, which she is absolutely in love with. I hope by then she takes a few more steps, human nature lies in progress, and watching that progress is one of the joys of parenthood.

Here's to 17 more years of progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment